There is a Battle for the Soul of These Girls.
Our girls aren’t statistics but names and faces we’re committed to restoring to freedom from the issues controlling their lives. The girls who come to Under His Wings struggle with feelings of abandonment, trauma and rebellion. They may refuse to go to school, run away from home, or become dependent on peers engaged in dangerous behaviors. The list of challenges to young women today can seem overwhelming.
- One woman in 5 struggles with an eating disorder.
- Each year 1 woman out of 5 will self-harm.
- 1 young woman in 3 is sexually abused before the age of 18.
- 1 woman in 8 ages 15-19 becomes pregnant each year.
- In Baldwin County – nearly 15% of all births are to mothers ages 15-19.
- Teenage pregnancy results in less likelihood of graduating high school, fewer employment opportunities and a greater chance of welfare dependency.
- For young people 15-24 years old, suicide is the third leading cause of death.
Sources: National Institute of Mental Health 2010; “Self Injury, Self Harm Statistics and Facts” – Healthy Place 2013; RAINN 2011; Centers for Disease Control 2010